Struggling with dog urine stains and odors? Cleaning your dog’s mess is a part of being a responsible dog parent. This is why you need the best enzyme cleaner for dog urine to keep your home clean.
My top choice for the job is the Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator. It’s certified, safe, and does the job just the way it should be done. It doesn’t contain any hazardous or harsh chemicals, so it doesn’t damage your furniture and is safe to use around your pets.
With proper training, your dog’s accidents will be minimized. However, having a potent urine stain and odor remover always comes in handy. In this article, we’ll review 7 of the best enzyme cleaners for dog urine and answer all your questions to help you choose the right one.
What Is The Best Enzyme Cleaner For Dog Urine?
To make sure that your dog is well-trained, you need to start early and be persistent. However, when you have a tiny untrained puppy or a senior dog, you might not be able to control their bladder. This is why you need to make sure that you have an effective enzyme cleaner that removes the stubborn stains and odors of urine.
1. Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
This enzymatic cleaner is a favorite among pet owners. It’s bio-enzymatic formula works by breaking the bacteria that cause the pungent and lingering smell of your pet’s mess. It uses helpful bacteria to neutralize the bad bacteria in your dog or cat urine that causes the foul smell that seems so difficult to get rid of.
As one of the best pet enzymatic cleaners, the Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator is designed to take care of any gross mess, including urine, feces, vomit, and drool, in addition to all other organic spills, eliminating the bad odor. It can be used on carpets, floors, furniture, upholstery, rugs, hardwood, laminate, clothing, kennels, litter boxes, and all living and sleeping areas.
The natural bacteria in the enzyme cleaner are instantly activated when they come in contact with the bacteria in the pee. They feed on ammonia crystals and other organic matter to totally eliminate them.
You should allow the enzymatic cleaner to soak the stain so it can be easily broken. Depending on the size of the mess, you might need to use a larger amount.
Leave it to sit for about 60 minutes and use a weight to help it work better and remove the excess liquid. After that, you can use a vacuum cleaner to remove the residue. Older stains and odors might need several treatments.
Because it’s chlorine-free, you can safely use it as a pretreatment for your laundry. It has an overpowering cinnamon-mint scent, so it might bother you if you’re using it in a small room.
- Chlorine-free cleaner for different surfaces
- Uses natural bacteria to remove the bad odor
- Doesn’t damage your upholstery, rugs, or clothes
- Works great on older stains
- Safe to use around children and pets
- Has an overpowering smell
2. Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator Dog
Dealing with a severe bio-based mess? The Nature’s Miracle dog stain and odor eliminator uses a potent bio-enzymatic formula to break the particles in urine, vomit, and feces to help keep your home clean.
After you’re done dealing with the mess, your house will smell fresh, thanks to the powerful enzyme formula. The bacteria get activated when it gets in contact with the organic mess and leaves a fresh scent instead of the overpowering odor of your dog’s mess.
The Nature’s Miracle pet stain and odor eliminator works on carpet, hardwood floors, tile, and linoleum. However, it shouldn’t be used on different kinds of fabrics like silk, wool, leather, and suede. Nevertheless, it’s an affordable option that you can use to keep your house clean.
To make sure that it works properly, you should first remove as much of the mess as you can. You should soak the area to help the enzymatic cleaner work properly.
The Nature’s Miracle takes about 15 minutes to work but would take about 24 hours to dry completely. Once it’s 100% dry, you can tell if you need to repeat the process.
In most cases, you probably need to. It has a perfume-like scent that some people aren’t fond of.
- Affordable and easy to use enzyme cleaner
- Bacteria get activated upon contact with the mess
- Works in 15 minutes
- Can be used on several types of flooring
- In most cases, you’ll need to repeat the process
- Some people hate the smell of the cleaner
3. Sunny & Honey Pet Stain & Odor Miracle
This enzymatic cleaner is available in 2 scents; a fall spice scent, and a spring mint scent. It removes all organic stains and odors from multiple surfaces, inside and outside the house.
This cleaner works on tile, hardwood floors, leather, rugs, carpets, pet beds, car upholstery. Moreover, it’s safe to use around pets and children.
You should first test the formula on the surface to make sure that it doesn’t affect the color. For best results, the formula should be used before other cleaning methods that might set the odor and stain in and make them hard to remove.
For pet stain and odor removal, the formula can be left to work for 5 or 10 minutes. For more severe incidents, you’ll need to let the formula work for 1 hour. It’s more expensive than other products on the market.
Although it works, some people believe that it has a bad chemical smell. The bottle tends to leak when you tip it as you try to clean the stain.
- Enzyme cleaner that comes in 2 different scents
- Acts fast to remove pet odors and stains
- Works on multiple surfaces, including upholstery
- Safe to use around pets and children
- More expensive than other enzymatic cleaning products
- Has a strong chemical smell
4. Stuart Pet Supply Co. Professional Strength Pet Odor Eliminator
The enzymes in the cleaner are activated so it can remove odors and the stains of feces, urine, drool, and vomit. Moreover, it’s safe to use around your pets and children.
The formula naturally removes the lingering and stubborn stains on carpets, rugs, upholstery, wood, marble, tile, and outdoor mats. It’s recommended that you don’t dilute this formula to make sure that it works properly.
For dog or cat urine on wood and hard floors, you need to remove the mess and use the enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the odor. For dry deposits, you’ll need to repeat the application several times until the smell is gone. It can also work on fabrics.
If you have a layer of painting on the surface you’re cleaning, the formula might not work. If the stain odor isn’t properly treated, the combination of the cleaning product’s smell and organic mess can be unbearable to some people.
- An enzymatic cleaner to remove all types of stains
- Works on different surfaces
- Can be on liquid and dry messes
- Can be safely used on fabrics
- The combination of the cleaning product’s smell and organic odor can be too intense for some people
- In some cases, you might need to remove a layer of paint to make sure that the bad odor is completely removed
5. Simple Solution Pet Stain and Odor Remover
Using this pet stain remover, you can neutralize all the organic mess to remove the lingering odor from your house. This enzymatic cleaner contains twice the amount of good bacteria to help break the bad bacteria in urine, feces, vomit, and drool. It also prevents the spread of the bad odor to other parts of your house.
Right after the accident, you can use this cleaner to prevent repeat marking. Its strong formula is safe to use on upholstery, bedding, carpets, fabric toys, as well as clothes as a pre wash treatment. The cleaner is safe to use around children and pets.
There are different ways to apply this formula; the foam is used to break down tough stains, while the stream can be used in tight corners and crevices for more accuracy. The mist option is suitable for covering large areas.
However, this formula is best used with smaller incidents. For larger stains, you’ll have to use a significant amount of the cleaning product, scrub it hard, and probably end up with multiple applications until the mess is 100% cleared. Nevertheless, compared to other pet products, it smells nicer because it doesn’t have an overpowering chemical smell.
- Works on clothes and fabrics
- Discourages repeat marking
- Various application options
- Doesn’t have an overpowering smell
- Not suitable for bigger stains
6. Bubbas Super Strength Concentrate Pet Odor Eliminator
Looking for a concentrated formula for tougher stains? This formula is specifically designed to remove old and tough stains from rugs, carpets, and upholstery. It works by breaking the bacteria in the organic mess caused by your pet to keep your house clean.
Certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI), you can use this enzymatic cleaner with any carpet or upholstery cleaning machine. It also works as a carpet shampoo that would make your house smell fresh and clean.
Using this pet carpet cleaner will revitalize the fibers of your carpets and remove all allergens. It also deodorizes your carpets to eliminate all lingering pet odors.
Because it’s a concentrated formula, you should only use 1 up to 3 ounces mixed with 1 gallon of water to clean the whole room. It’s good value for money and will last for long.
This cleaner isn’t designed to work on all surfaces like hardwood, tile, and other flooring options. It’s not the best for removing pet stains and odors from clothes. Moreover, some people might feel that the smell is too strong for them.
- Potent formula that revitalizes the fibers of rugs and carpets
- Removes old and tough odors and stains
- Works with any upholstery or carpet cleaner machine
- Concentrated formula that lasts for a long time
- Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI) certificate
- Has an overpowering smell
- Doesn’t work on all surfaces
7. Emmy’s Best Powerful Pet Odor Remover Color Saver and Urine Eliminator Deodorizer
This enzymatic cleaner features a triple-action formula that removes stains, neutralizes pet odors, and prevents repeat marking caused by pheromones. The formula doesn’t cover up the smell, but the enzymes start to consume the odor-causing bacteria that live in an organic mess.
Unlike some other products, this urine stain removal doesn’t have a nasty chemical smell. The soothing scent of lavender will linger after you’ve removed the bad odors, so it will calm you and your dog.
For less prominent stains, you can use the spray bottle and let the solution soak in for 5 to 10 minutes. For tougher stains, you can remove the sprayer and pour the formula directly to the soiled surface. Apply weight to let it work and leave it for a longer time.
You can use this enzymatic cleaner with carpets, upholstery, tile, wood, concrete, litter baskets, and garbage cans. You can also use the spray bottle on clothes before cleaning them in the washing machine.
However, this cleaner might not work with very noticeable pet odors and older stains. It’s also more expensive than other products on the market.
- Triple-action formula to remove stains, neutralize odor, and prevent repeat marking
- Has a soothing lavender scent
- Two methods of application, depending on the severity of the stain
- Works on different surfaces
- Doesn’t work very well with old stains
- More expensive than other products
What is the Best Odor Remover for Dog Urine?
Dog urine naturally smells very bad because of the ammonia. However, in some cases, the smell can be too overpowering, indicating that your dog is suffering from a serious medical condition. At the same time, the lack of smell shows that your dog is probably struggling with a metabolic disease.
A good pet urine stain odor eliminator is what you need to take care of the stubborn smell that would otherwise linger. The smell also encourages your dog to soil the same spot because of the pheromones, causing an annoying odor that becomes very challenging to get rid of.
ANGRY ORANGE Ready-to-Use Citrus Pet Odor Eliminator Pet Spray
Removing pet stains might not get rid of the lingering smell. This is where this ready-made spray bottle comes in handy.
It requires no mixing or preparation. All you have to do is to spray it on the organic mess, and it will immediately get rid of the bad odor. It works on different types of surfaces, including wood, tile, carpets, litter boxes, and even grass to prevent repeat marking.
Some users might be put off by chemical cleaners because the odors can be too overpowering. However, this spray naturally deodorizes your home with a sweet and fresh scent of real oranges.
For best results, use this spray as a disinfectant after getting rid of the mess created by your dog. It can’t be used in a steam cleaner. Some pets might be allergic to some of the ingredients, so make sure to test it first.
- Fresh citrus spray that smells like real oranges
- Instantly removes lingering organic and chemical odors
- Works on various surfaces
- Comes ready to use and doesn’t have to be diluted
- Works with dog and cat urine
- Some pets might be allergic to some of the ingredients
- It can’t be used in a steam cleaner to remove stains
Homemade Enzyme Cleaner for Dog Urine
Accidents happen, and even with the best training, your dog might make a few mistakes. Despite dealing promptly with your dog’s messes, stains and smells can stay, making your house smell like pet urine no matter how hard you try to keep it clean.
Even with the best deodorizer, the combination of good and bad odors can be quite disturbing. This is why you need to use a potent enzyme cleaner to break the bacteria that make your dog or cat urine smell so bad.
Luckily, there are lots of potent products on the market that will help you get rid of the bad odor. Nevertheless, some people are into DIY projects and want to prepare a special cleaning solution that they can safely use around the house. Here is how to get rid of all the bad odors in your home.
- If you’re not sure where the smell is coming from, use a black light. Keep the room dark and use the light to find pee patches on the floor, walls, doors, carpets, and furniture pieces. This will guarantee that no pee spots will be ignored.
- For less prominent stains, use a mixture made of equal parts of vinegar and water. Dog urine contains ammonia, which has alkaline properties. Vinegar is an acid, so it will neutralize the ammonia, producing water and salt. The residue left after drying the spot can be easily removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- If you’re dealing with a stubborn organic stain, you should use vinegar, baking soda, water, and 3% hydrogen peroxide. This mixture can be too strong, so you should be careful while using it on carpet and upholstery fibers. It works on new and old stains.
- Put on your cleaning gloves to protect your hands.
- Use paper towels to blot up the pet pee. Make sure that all the liquid is removed before attempting to get rid of the smell.
- Mix water with vinegar to prepare a natural ingredients cleaning solution. It neutralizes the ammonia to get rid of the bad smell left behind. You can also use lemon juice as it contains citric acid and has a refreshing fragrance.
- Use a clean cloth or a toothbrush to work the mixture into the spot. Don’t go too hard because you might accidentally damage the fibers. Scrub the surface if you’re dealing with wood, tiles, or any other hard surface.
- Let the mixture work for a while then blot it up to make sure that it’s completely dry. Use a wet and dry cleaner or a steam cleaner if possible.
- Before the area is 100% dry, sprinkle some baking soda to soak up the rest of the dog or cat urine odor.
- Add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to remove lingering organic smells. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide will start to foam, so you can rub this foam on the dirty area to make sure that you’ve got rid of all the bad smells.
- Blot up the mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, and use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dry residue.
In some cases, DIY mixtures can’t still get rid of the bad smell left behind. You’ll eventually have to go for a commercial cleaner. Luckily, there are a lot of potent formulas that can do the job.
You should not use regular floor cleaners or carpet shampoos because they’re not designed for this job. You might not be able to detect the smell, but your dog has a much more sensitive nose. Unless the stain is completely removed, your dog might be tempted to soil the same spot again.
Any cleaner that contains ammonia or bleach shouldn’t be used to get rid of pet smells. Dog pee actually smells like ammonia, so your dog might repeat the same mistake at the same spot. Bleach is highly toxic and can harm your pets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions.
What is an Enzyme Cleaner?
Enzyme cleaners are quite potent when it comes to dealing with organic smells like dog urine, feces, vomit, and drool. They contain enzymes, which are macromolecular catalysts that break various kinds of bacteria that cause the bad smell in your pet’s mess.
Pets are habitual, so one accident is enough to mess up with your pet’s training. Your dog might be encouraged to soil the same spot again and again unless you use a potent enzyme cleaner to remove the smell forever.
How do Enzymatic Cleaners Work?
Enzymatic cleaners contain good bacteria that digest the bad bacteria that cause the foul odor. By doing so, all traces of organic waste are removed.
Enzymatic cleaners can be used to remove all types of stains, like human stains and blood. They’re mostly safe to use on different types of surfaces.
Are Enzyme Cleaners Effective?
Yes, they are. Unlike other cleaners, they don’t mask the smell.
Enzymatic cleaners break the compounds in dog urine and other organic wastes that make them smell so bad. As a result, your house will actually smell good because all the bad bacteria have been broken.
Are Enzyme Cleaners Safe?
Yes, they are. These are biological cleaners that are typically safe to use around the house without worrying about your pets and kids.
Enzymatic cleaners contain good bacteria that produce enzymes to kill and break the bad bacteria that cause a foul smell after a pet accident. However, you should take a look at the list of ingredients as some pets and people might be allergic to some of the ingredients.
Getting rid of pet stains like dog urine is not an easy task unless you use the right tools. For pet owners, enzymatic cleaners are safe and potent because they tackle the core of the problem.
These are some of the best enzymatic cleaners that break the bacteria in pet urine and other wastes, so they don’t mask the smell. As a result, you can rest assured, knowing that your house actually smells clean. Even your dog’s sensitive nose won’t be able to pick up the smell.
Using a good enzyme cleaner as soon as the accident happens guarantees better results. Nevertheless, good enzymatic cleaners will also work if you have old stains that have been accidentally forgotten.
- Causes And Cures For Urine Marking by Dogs Naturally
- Learn How to Spot Urinary Problems in Your Dog by The Spruce Pets