Buying gifts can be challenging, especially if it’s for someone you love and truly care about. You always want to get them the “perfect” gift, or at least the best thing possible that fits your budget.
It’s not the first time I have spent hours – or in my personal case, days – searching for the ultimate present, so a bit of help is definitely appreciated.
When buying gifts for new or first time dog owners, there are three things you’ll need to keep in mind: practicality, quality, and level of surprise.
Plus, it needs to be something that would either directly benefit their pups, or help increase their bond with them.
Here we’ve compiled a list of the best gifts for new dog owners, and each pro and con to help you decide which one is the ultimate choice for you.
1. Outward Hound’s Hide-and-Seek Plush Dog Toy
Dogs are like human babies – they love playing with toys and get excited by anything that squeaks!
Toy plushies are known to be something that every new dog owner must own. Not only does it provide entertainment for dogs, but it also reduces the risk of them destroying your favorite pair of sneakers.
Outward Hound’s Dog Toy is ranked as the #1 best seller in plush toys for dogs on Amazon, and for good reason. It’s cute, squeaky, and surprisingly durable for a plush toy!
It can survive tugging, fetching, and a bit of gentle nibbling without completely ruining it.
It also doubles as an interactive toy you can play with your dog and acts as an enriching mental exercise that challenges and entertains.
This dog toy comes in 4 different sizes and 6 different styles:
- Squeaky Egg
And if they lose or damage a squirrel or two? No problem! You can purchase a replacement plush at your convenience, at half the price.
- Replacement toys are very affordable
- Designed to be interactive
- Great for playing fetch
- Very well made and enjoyable for dogs
- Could be a choking hazard for the smaller dogs
- Not for aggressive chewers – no matter how durable, it could still be torn apart if used too much force
2. Toys and Accessories Pet Storage Bin
New pet owners can get a little bit carried away sometimes when buying toys, cute costumes, treats, and other pet-related supplies for their darling pups.
A storage bin for dogs is essential! It’s a primary necessity, up there with dog treats and chew toys! I’m sure it’s something your friend would surely appreciate as a gift.
Its design makes it a great decorative piece in anyone’s home, both for dog lovers or new pet owners. Perfect for holding toys, blankets, grooming supplies, and more!
- Easy to clean
- Carry handles makes it easy to move
- 100% polyester, which makes it durable for long-lasting use
- Handles are a bit fragile and can detach easily
- Doesn’t hold the shape after some time
3. Pearhead Pet Picture Frame and Paw Print Kit for Dog Lovers
I’m a sucker for picture frames. I have 20 separate frames in my living room alone, and I certainly wouldn’t mind getting more.
Personalized frames as a gift are not only thoughtful but show how much you adore your friend. They’re simple, cheap, and timeless!
What makes Pearhead’s Pet Picture Frame so special is that it has a paw print kit that allows you to imprint their dog’s paw to be placed right next to their photo.
You’ll just need to gently press their dog’s paw (secretly, as it’s a gift!) on the clay included in the box until you get your desired shape.
Once done, let it try for 1-2 days. Then use the tape provided and stick to the background board, along with their favorite photo of their dog.
Pearhead’s Pet Picture Frame makes a great “forever gift” for dog lovers; something to cherish for years and years to come.
- The clay mold material is 100% pet safe and easy to use
- Sits perfectly on any table or bookshelf
- Beautiful solid wood hinged frame
- Easy to follow instructions
- No baking required
- Takes days for the clay to harden
- Clay doesn’t allow deep prints
4. Dog Bowls for Walking, Hiking and Traveling 2-in-1
I could write an entirely separate article about the importance of regularly walking your dog alone. It not only improves their overall health but also increases your dog’s trust and companionship.
Having a portable food and water bowl can be handy for such occasions, and makes for a great gift.
UPSKY’s Pet Water Bottle is designed with two separate chambers: one to keep dry food and the other for water. It can hold up to 10oz for water and 7oz for food, and 12oz for its collapsible food bowl.
- Comes with two silicone bowls
- Hold sufficient food and water to last the day
- Durable and 100% safe for your pets
- Completely leak-proof
- Easy to fill, convenient, and reliable
- Doesn’t have the greatest insulation; water stays cold for only about an hour
- Doesn’t have a handle, making it a little difficult to carry around without a bag
5. Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right
How about this for a gift: a book with a comprehensive guide in training dogs.
It’s never a bad idea to surprise your loved one with a classic old book. Even with the surge of e-books and online videos, books will always hold a special place in our hearts.
In this book, author Sophia A. Yin guides new dog owners how to train their dogs from a young age.
With over 400 pictures to follow, this easy step-by-step book will provide any new owner the important basics in dog training and care, all the while making the process enjoyable to readers and their new pets.
If your friend would rather prefer not to carry a book around, you can instead purchase the Kindle edition.
- Highly educationalDecent night vision
- Offers solid, practical advice in caring and training dogs
- A fun and entertaining read
- More suitable for dog owners with no experience
- The title can be misleading – not everyone can train their puppy “perfectly” in 7 days
6. Furbo Dog Camera: Treat Tossing, Full HD Wifi Pet Camera and 2-Way Audio, Designed for Dogs
The Furbo Dog Camera may not be the cheapest on this list, but it’s certainly a great gift to surprise your friend or family member!
Saying goodbye to your dogs every morning before going to work can be heartbreaking, especially if there’s nothing else you’d rather do than play with them for another minute longer.
But alas, money doesn’t make itself, and sacrifices need to be made.
Worry no more, however, because Furbo’s dog camera allows pet owners to monitor and play with their dogs even miles and miles away!
Furbo’s camera, developed specifically for dogs, allows you to live stream with your dogs in 1080p full HD camera at any part of the day. This is powered by the Furbo app, which can be downloaded in both Android and Apple phones.
It has a barking sensor that detects when your dog is in distress and will send notifications directly to your phone to alert you in real-time.
It also has a special little feature that allows you to toss treats to your dog! How cool is that?
Furbo’s dog camera has been Amazon’s top choice for Pet Camera for years and has been recommended by high-end magazines such as Wired, Today, and Forbes. Even Ellen DeGeneres loves it.
- An up-to-date application supported by all smartphones
- Excellent customer service in case there’s a fault in your device
- Alerts you in real-time, allowing you to be the first to know when your dog is in need of help
- Automatically takes cute selfies of your dog when it detects your pet is facing the camera
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Designed specifically for dogs, do doesn’t work as great if you have a pet cat
- A monthly subscription to use their more premium functions
- Doesn’t work without an internet connection
7. PetFusion’s Ultimate Dog Bed
While all dog beds more or less look alike – fabric and cushion – PetFusion’s dog bed is designed to provide the ultimate comfort of your dog. It comes in 4 different sizes, the largest being XXL Jumbo (50×40”), which can comfortably house any dog breed.
With a CertiPUR-US orthopedic memory foam as its base, this dog bed is water and tear-resistant, easy to clean, and is compatible with any breed.
Who says only humans can enjoy the luxury of a good night’s sleep? I’m sure your friend would appreciate the thoughtful gift!
- Great for dogs with underlying medical conditions
- Extremely comfortable
- Lightweight and easy to carry around for travel
- Stands up nicely even with regular use
- Replacement covers are available if needed
- Great value for money
- Covers are not fireproof
- A bit difficult to install initially
If you’re looking for a slightly cheaper alternative, I’d highly recommend Furhaven Pet Dog Bed. It costs about half the price, but it’s nonetheless an equally great product with good reviews from its buyers.
8. Pet Grooming Glove: Perfect for Dog & Cat with Long & Short Fur
Let’s face it: dogs shed. A lot.
If I kept all the hair my dog has shed during his entire lifetime, I would’ve been able to open a wig factory by now! I’d call it Connie’s Premium Periwig – catchy, isn’t it?
Regularly brushing your dog’s fur is essential because it prevents tangles and removes dead hair and dry skin. It also ensures the distribution of natural oils, keeping your dog’s fur healthy and happy.
For new dog owners, this is a must-have. This grooming glove makes it a gift your loved one will regularly use!
Delomo’s Pet Grooming Glove isn’t just an ordinary old glove. It’s enhanced with 255 silicone grooming tips, an adjustable wrist strap, and soft rubber. This makes it ideal for brushing away your dog’s shedding hair.
The hair stuck in the glove can be easily peeled and thrown away, and as it’s designed as a glove it makes it quite effortless to clean hard-to-reach places such as your dog’s face or tail.
My favorite thing about this product is the fact that it allows you to massage and pet your dog while grooming them.
I’ve seen dogs become completely restless when their owners brush them, so Delomon’s Pet Grooming Glove makes grooming fun for them and their dogs.
- Easily cleaned
- One size fits all
- Great for long or curly hair
- The product doesn’t contain anything that may cause skin damage
- Made to ensure the comfort of a dog
- Doesn’t work for dogs with Arthritis, as the spikes may be too hard and may cause pain
- Doesn’t work as well for dogs with short hair
When buying a gift, it’s the thought that truly counts. It doesn’t matter how expensive an item is or how big. As long as you pick it with love, they’ll always appreciate your kind efforts to make dog lovers (and their dogs) happy.
We believe that the list above will greatly help in your search to find a unique and fun dog gift that goes beyond the regular old treats and toys.